O’Keefe Media Group
A celebrated American journalist and media innovator, James O’Keefe and his team is renowned for their impactful reporting that has inspired legislative reforms, led to official congressional inquiries, and the defunding of corrupt institutional programs.
The OMG mission is to empower and equip a movement of thousands of citizen journalists to expose wrongdoings, corruption, and government overreach, with the support of an in-house team of elite journalists to bring factual, unbiased stories to light.
We are looking for an Assignment Editor who will evaluate thousands of incoming tips from various sources to help identify the right leads for our OMG journalists and Citizen journalists to pursue. The Assignment Editor will work with Citizen Journalists to provide direction on what stories to pursue and how to get the story; empowering them to pursue their own ideas and find the story. This role is integral to bringing truth to light and exposing malfeasance and corruption all throughout the nation.
- Break stories, work contacts, and react quickly and aggressively to breaking leads, news, developing stories.
- Monitor our social media DMs and dispatch system for leads to pursue.
- Enterprise story ideas and work with journalists and producers to develop stories.
- Develop story ideas and clearly articulate them.
- Participate in daily planning meetings.
- Facilitate the news gathering process and ensure comprehensive coverage of all news stories.
- Dispatch information in a timely and organized manner.
- Coordinate with journalists and other personnel to cover stories.
- Communicate with production staff and management on the status of coverage and stories.
- Monitor blogs, social media, and local papers for potential stories.
- Compile a list of possible stories to be followed up on by journalists.
- Must demonstrate loyalty to both cause and the Founder.
- Must be deeply passionate about OMG’s mission.
- Must possess a willingness to risk it all on the truth and stay strong under insurmountable pressure.
- The ideal candidate is a hard worker with a great attitude.
- Effective organizational and time management skills with ability to prioritize diverse tasks in a high-energy environment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work to a tight schedule.
- Able to seek simple solutions to complex problems.
- Must be a self-starter with strong news judgment and good instincts.
- Must be enterprising and resourceful.
- A familiarity with the fast pace of a startup organization (media org. preferred).
- Must be able to work 3 days a week in our NJ office (Northvale, NJ).
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Medical, Dental and Vision benefit coverage.
- 3 weeks of paid time off.