O’Keefe Media Group
A celebrated American journalist and media innovator, James O’Keefe and his team is renowned for their impactful reporting that has inspired legislative reforms, led to official congressional inquiries, and the defunding of corrupt institutional programs.
The OMG mission is to empower and equip a movement of thousands of citizen journalists to expose wrongdoings, corruption, and government overreach, with the support of an in-house team of elite journalists to bring factual, unbiased stories to light.
The News Writer / Communications Specialist reports to the CEO and Head of Publishing. The candidate oversees the generation and promotion of original OMG content, which includes news stories, digital marketing, fundraising efforts, and the full range of traditional press engagement functions.
As it pertains to News Writer duties:
- Writing multiple news posts per week as it relates to OMG’s investigative journalism efforts.
- Conceive of and generate original content.
- Covering breaking news, including at night and on weekends, if necessary.
- Pitching ideas at weekly staff meetings.
- Draft and distribute all communication elements of a release, including news headlines, social captions, newsletters, press releases, and other relevant materials.
- Work closely with the Head of Publishing and News Producer to align press and content strategy with company objectives and goals.
- Ensure our stories are effectively represented in the public sphere.
As it pertains to Communications Specialist duties:
- Ensure activity is maintained across all OMG channels daily.
- Draft and distribute all communication elements of a release, including news headlines, social captions, newsletter, press release, and other relevant material.
- Develop and maintain relations with press as well as media.
- Collaborate with friendly press, influencers, and other external allies to ensure our stories are effectively represented in the public sphere.
- Ensure news subjects are reached out to for comment and when required, engage in other aspects of news-gathering.
- Serve as a spokesperson when required by leadership.
- Must demonstrate loyalty to both cause and the Founder.
- Must be deeply passionate about OMG’s mission.
- Must possess a willingness to risk it all on the truth and stay strong under insurmountable pressure.
- The ideal candidate is a hard worker with a great attitude, adept at writing and reporting, excellent attention to detail, and understands what a successful news story looks like.
- Able to build relationships with other journalists in order to be able to communicate and write effectively.
- Support the internal and external communication needs of the company.
- Minimum 4 years professional newswriting or relevant experience.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to generate clean, accurate copy with incisive analysis.
- Ability to write dynamic headlines and a familiarity with SEO, or a willingness to learn.
- A familiarity with the fast pace of a startup news organization.
- Must be able to work 5 days a week in our NJ office (Northvale, NJ).
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Medical, Dental and Vision benefit coverage.
- 3 weeks of paid time off.